Teaching Strategies - Start of the Year
The hardest part of relief teaching is to decide what teaching strategies to employ and what teaching resources to use. These booklets are perfect for making a connection of literacy and numeracy activities for any class.
Teaching Strategies that Connect.
I don't know about you, but in my relief teaching gigs, I try to use activities that have some sort of connection.
Usually the teachers leave disconnected activities for relief teachers. This makes it hard to get teaching strategies to flow through the day.
Have you found that?
Well this Executive Members Only resource is different.
This has a range of student activities connected by the month.
The focus is the month of February.
Using these teaching strategies during February are just right for you.
Look, if you are relief teaching and filling in for short gigs, you should really focus on literacy and numeracy activities.
That is just what this resource has for you.
Student Activities for February has heaps of reading and writing activities to engage any student.
The best option for relief teaching
is to have a range teaching strategies
from which to choose.
Teaching strategies include
Reading Comprehension Activities.
- A 700 word reading passage all about February. How it got its name, historical information, season data, major events including international events.
- A detailed focussed report on Groundhog Day. You have a choice of either
- a 500 word reading passage or
- a 10 minute movie - a combination of a YouTube clip INSIDE GROUNDHOG DAY and the Reading Comprehension Passage
- or the passage as a PowerPoint.
This gives you depth in deciding which teaching strategies to use to develop student comprehension.
Sure Groundhog day is not an Australian activity! But what student wouldn't benefit from a wide understanding of international events?
- The reading comprehension activities include the maths literacy skill of developing a February calendar using the information in the passage. This could be the resource you need to create a focused lesson on the calendar. Get the connection?
- You also get another reading comprehension activity - a 400 word reading passage on Valentine's Day.
- For each of the reading passages you get a range of crossword options. This increases the range of reading instruction teaching strategies you can use.
- A detailed report on the international visitors to arrive in Australia. This is the basis for a mathematical graphing activity. In fact TWO graphing activities. Once again you can decide which teaching strategies best suit your situation. You can teach the students how to develop a bar graph OR how to interpret a pie graph. Perhaps you might like to do both. What a great resource to explore the teaching strategies of explicit teaching.
- You could stretch the activities over a few days. This could allow you to teach a comparison of both. You decide which classroom strategies you would like to use.
- OK. I said you should focus on literacy instruction and mathematics activities - but I threw in a mapping teaching strategy as well. On this activity, students need to find the countries of the world from which our visitors come. It really is an activity focusing on reading and writing.
Check out the Table of Contents.
Check out the resources you can get.
Which teaching strategies would you use with these resource options?
Are you interested in finding out MORE?
YOU need to be an EXECUTIVE MEMBER
YOU need to visit the Executive Members Free Resources
Go For It!